Our fail-safe option for when we want an easy meal is always a stir fry; so many ways to jazz it up and ready in 10 minutes. We have it on rotation so often however that I have been trying to come up with other speedy alternatives for those days post-school pick up when you only have 10 minutes before the children start to eat each other.
Tonight we had Salmon Tacos and I would definitely recommend this recipe for anyone wanting a quick but still nutritious dinnertime option.
Here's what to do:
1. Heat a large frying pan with a little oil and add salmon fillets (approx one per person) sprinkled with a few teaspoons of Chinese 5 Spice. Pan fry for around 5 minutes, turning once halfway through. When the fish is cooked it will flake easily.
2. Load up your table with:
- Tortilla wraps (wholemeal/seeded are great if you can find them for added fibre)
- Raw, thinly sliced red cabbage
- Sour cream or plain yoghurt
- Cucumber and Carrots (speed peel these into ribbons)
- Quartered limes
Layer up your wraps with the sour cream, then the avocado, cabbage, carrots, cucumbers, and salmon. Finally, squeeze over your lime and add some coriander leaves. Wrap and enjoy.
I like a bit of spice so I added some hot sauce to mine, next time I am going to add some pickled sushi ginger too as I think this would work really well with the flavours.
You could try cherry tomatoes and lettuce instead of the carrots and cabbage etc - just raid your salad draw to see what needs using up.
Let me know if you have any quick dinnertime winners!